×

The Mendota Police Department and Mendota High School are investigating multiple reports of a potential safety threat to the school, according to a statement released Wednesday. Unconfirmed reports from an internal source have said that three students were involved in a threat to the school, and were taken into custody. Police warned that making or sharing threats, regardless of intent, could lead to serious consequences, including legal action. The investigation is ongoing, and officials urge anyone with information to contact the Mendota Police Department.

Last night the Mendota Police Department received a report that a possible threat had been posted to a social media platform, referencing concerns for the safety of Northbrook Middle School. After a thorough investigation, Mendota Police concluded that the threat was unfounded. The investigation also revealed that the source of the threat was likely a continuation of a previous incident involving another school, which had also been deemed unfounded.

Additionally, In a message to the LaSalle-Peru Township High School community on Wednesday, Superintendent Dr. Steven Wrobleski confirmed that the school is addressing a potential threat, though he emphasized that no credible evidence has been found. Wrobleski linked the incident to a series of unsubstantiated threats, following a recent firearm discovery at Ottawa High School. He urged families to closely monitor their children’s social media activity, warning that even rumors or jokes about violence could lead to serious consequences both at school and with law enforcement. Wrobleski stressed the importance of reporting potential threats directly to the school or police, rather than spreading rumors online, to avoid unnecessary stress on students, staff, and families.

—————————————————————–

The Ottawa River Rescue has introduced its new vessel, Boat 1, made possible through a grant from the LaSalle County ARPA program. The grant, which also funded a new truck and a building generator, was awarded after ORS presented a detailed proposal to the county board. Ottawa River Rescue is entirely donation-funded, dependent on grants for major equipment purchases. The next priority for River Rescue is replacing six aging drag boats, each costing $6,500.

—————————————————————–

Illinois is sending emergency workers to assist in response and recovery efforts during Hurricane Milton. Governor Pritzker announced that emergency workers will be deployed to the site of the storm. Milton made landfall last night as a powerful Category 3 storm, bringing life-threatening storm surges, heavy winds, and rain.

—————————————————————–

The Illinois State Police is teaming up with faith-based organizations across the state for the National Faith & Blue Weekend, set for this Friday through Monday. The nationwide initiative aims to improve police-community relations through a series of events designed to build trust and cooperation between law enforcement and residents. Faith & Blue focuses on creating safer and more equitable communities by encouraging collaboration between police and religious groups. ISP Director Brendan F. Kelly emphasized the importance of mutual respect and understanding, noting that when law enforcement and local faith organizations work together, communities thrive. Planned activities for the weekend include blood drives, food bank donations, prescription drug take-back programs, and family-friendly events like trunk-or-treat. Residents are encouraged to participate and connect with officers and community leaders. A full list of events is available on the Faith & Blue website.

—————————————————————–

This week Illinois House Minority Leader Tony McCombie of Savanna filed legislation to require proof of citizenship during voter registration. McCombie says the bill is a proactive step toward enhancing voter integrity and election security, and that with concerns about election fraud, the legislation is a necessary step to strengthen trust in the electoral process. The bill, HB5887, has gained support from the House Republican Caucus and will proceed the legislative process

—————————————————————–

Fernando Martinez of Ottawa has been convicted of home invasion following a violent break-in last November, during which gunshots were exchanged. While the victims were unable to identify the perpetrators, police linked Martinez to the crime, leading to his arrest. On Wednesday, a La Salle County jury deliberated for just 30 minutes before returning a guilty verdict. Despite claims from Martinez and his lawyer that no direct evidence tied him to the incident, the jury was unconvinced. Martinez, already on parole at the time of the break-in, now faces 26 to 50 years in prison, with sentencing set for December 13th.

—————————————————————–

Jury selection continues in the racketeering trial of former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan. Three jurors were chosen yesterday, including two men and one woman. Madigan and longtime confidant, Michael McClain, face charges accusing them of conspiring to participate in an array of bribery and extortion schemes. October 15th has been set as the tentative date for opening statements.

——————————————————————

Streator Police arrested 18-year-old Matthew B. Weibel late Wednesday night on Main Street at 3rd Avenue. Weibel was wanted on an outstanding LaSalle County warrant for probation violation and a Livingston County warrant for probation violation. He was taken to the LaSalle County Jail.

——————————————————————-

A Kankakee man will spend time in prison for trying to obtain fentanyl through the mail. Javan Jamar Thompson was sentenced to ten years behind bars after pleading guilty to drug charges in June. Prosecutors say Thompson used the U.S. mail in an attempt to obtain fentanyl and cocaine for distribution. Authorities intercepted a parcel, destined for Thompson, that contained thousands of fentanyl-laced pills and several hundred grams of cocaine.

—————————————————————–

A large brush fire forced the shutdown of Interstate 80 in Bureau County on Wednesday. Firefighters responded to extinguish the blaze, which occurred on Interstate 80 eastbound near milepost 65. The incident prompted a Mutual Aid Box Alarm System to be dispatched around 11:45 a.m., and it was later upgraded to a fourth alarm. As a result of the fire, the eastbound lane of Interstate 80 was closed while firefighters worked to douse the flames. Several fire companies, including those from Utica, Oglesby, Ladd, Bureau, Hennepin, Peru, La Salle, and Spring Valley, provided assistance at the scene.

—————————————————————–

The City of Chicago is preparing for the 2024 Chicago Marathon this weekend. Thousands of runners will be participating in Sunday’s race. The race will require street closures and parking restrictions throughout the course. The Chicago Marathon raises millions of dollars for various charitable causes.

—————————————————————–

The Naplate Volunteer Fire Department celebrated its 75th anniversary yesterday, marking a proud milestone in the community’s history. Officially founded on October 9th, 1949, the department began with just nine volunteers led by its first fire chief, John Preci. Their equipment consisted of a simple hand-drawn hose reel, which was later upgraded with a trailer built by the members themselves. With limited resources, the volunteers launched the annual Homecoming event to raise funds for better equipment, leading to the purchase of their first new fire truck in 1958. Over the decades, the department expanded to include two engines, a rescue squad, a brush truck, and a 6-wheeler, supported by 20 firefighters and four cadets. The dedication of the community and the formation of the Naplate Fire Belles Auxiliary in 1959 has been pivotal in the department’s growth. As they reflect on 75 years of service, the department remains committed to overcoming future challenges and continuing its tradition of excellence in serving Naplate.

—————————————————————–

WEATHER:

Today

Sunny, with a high near 77. The calm wind is coming east around 5 mph in the morning.

Tonight

Clear, with a low of around 50. East wind around 5 mph becoming south after midnight.

—————————————————————–

OBITUARIES:

Gerald “Jerry” Eich passed away on October 3rd, at the age of 84, surrounded by his loving family at the Pavilion of Ottawa. Visitation will be held on Saturday, October 12th from 10-11:30 AM at the chapel at Oakwood Memorial Park. A funeral ceremony will follow at 11:30 AM. Interment with military honors will follow at the graveside.

—————————————————————–

Amy Jo Linton-Smith, 64, of Marseilles, passed away Friday, October 4th, at The Pearl of Orchard Valley in Aurora. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday, October 12th, at the First Congregational Church in Marseilles. Funeral services will follow at noon Saturday at the church. Seals-Campbell Funeral Home is entrusted with cremation rites. Burial will be in Riverview Cemetery at a later date.

—————————————————————–

LOCAL SPORTS:

FOOTBALL

Aurora Central Catholic (3-3) at Marquette (4-2)

When: 7 p.m. Friday at Gould Stadium – Nonconference game.

—————————————————————–

Girls volleyball

Newark 2, Earlville 0: Little Ten Conference Tournament at Newark

—————————————————————–

Girls tennis

Sycamore 6, Ottawa 3: At Ottawa, the host Varsity Pirates fell in Interstate 8 Conference play.

Ottawa 7, Sycamore 2: The Freshman and Sophomores finished their season with a perfect record 7-0 and 5-0 in the conference.

Streator 5, Kewanee 0: At Streator

—————————————————————–

Boys soccer

Sycamore 3, Ottawa 1: 

Rochelle 2, La Salle-Peru 0:

Coal City 4, Streator 0:

—————————————————————–

Boys cross country

Mendota Invite: Dixon took first place, Mendota took second, and Streator finished last with 56 points in a three-team meet.

—————————————————————–

You can find high school sports scores in our area on the WCMY Scorestream at 1430 wcmy.com/highschoolsports/

—————————————————————–

PRO SPORTS:

The Chicago Bears are getting a little bit healthier. Just three players missed practice yesterday. Safety Jaquan Brisker, defensive lineman Zacch Pickens, and defensive back Terell Smith were all out with injuries.  Chicago already ruled Brisker out for Sunday’s game in London as he is dealing with a concussion.  Two other players were limited in practice, while defensive lineman Jacob Martin was a full participant. Chicago goes up against Jacksonville on Sunday morning.

—————————————————————–

The Chicago Blackhawks are gearing up for their second game of the season tomorrow. Chicago visits Winnipeg at Canada Life Centre. The Hawks are coming off a 5-2 loss in their season opener at Utah on Tuesday. Chicago is off to a 0-1-and-0 start this year. Tomorrow’s game starts at 7:00 PM.

—————————————————————–

COLLEGE SPORTS:

Men’s Soccer

IVCC 3, Kishwaukee 1: the Eagles to an Arrowhead Athletic Conference win.

—————————————————————–

Women’s Soccer

College of DuPage 3, IVCC 1: At DuPage, the Eagle fell in nonconference action.

—————————————————————–

Men’s Golf

Arrowhead Conference Meet: The Eagles finished fourth place in the nine-team conference tournament.